Email Encryption: PGP vs. S/MIME, Server vs. Client

  • From: "Wakelin, Frank" <fwakelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:51:05 -0700

I was wondering what other people are using as far as encryption is concerned.
I need to implement encryption (to/from internet recipients - not just
internal) here in one site to start with.

Right now it looks like I'll go S/MIME, obtaining certificates from an external
certificate authority and using the client-based outlook-integrated solution.
I'd prefer a server based solution, rather than client-based however and would
be willing to choose something else if I could simplify the process for the
client.

Thoughts, Comments?

  _____

Frank Wakelin
Network Analyst
direct tel.: 604.640.4096
fax: 604.622.5911
fwakelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

  <http://www.blgcanada.com/nav/mainLogo.gif>

Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
1200 Waterfront Centre
200 Burrard Street, P.O. Box 48600
Vancouver, B.C., Canada V7X 1T2
www.blgcanada.com <http://www.blgcanada.com/>

WE INTEND THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL MESSAGE ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY NAMED IN
THE ADDRESSEE FIELD.  THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
CONFIDENTIAL OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

IF YOU ARE NOT THE ADDRESSEE OR AN EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING
THIS MESSAGE TO THE ADDRESSEE, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY TELEPHONE,
PERMANENTLY DESTROY ANY COPIES YOU MAY HAVE AND RETURN THIS DOCUMENT TO US AT
OUR EXPENSE AT THE E-MAIL ADDRESS NOTED ABOVE.  ANY DISSEMINATION OR COPYING OF
THIS MESSAGE BY ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ADDRESSEE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
WARNING: EMAIL MAY NOT BE SECURE UNLESS PROPERLY ENCRYPTED.