RE: EXCHANGE Mailboxes replication

  • From: "Jean TIBERGHIEN" <jean.tiberghien@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:16:08 -0700

Thanks very much, Ion,

You gave me a great answer...
quick and operationnal !

Your two URLs
http://www.nsisoftware.com/
http://wm.quest.com/products/availabilitysuiteexchange/
give us very good solutions
to face a Exchange server crash.

I add a complementary hint, in case it can
be useful for other newbies as I am (!)
I discovered (shame not to have done it before)
that two functionalities can probably act as alternative
personal backup/restore solutions. Would you agree
with these statements ?

-1-) PST files as personal email archives and backup:
OUTLOOK .PST files can achieve a kind of
'individual personal backup' in case of a crash.
They also are a good 'personal archive' for old emails.

-2-) OST files :
if configured in 'autonomous mode', my OUTLOOK client
acts as a local replica of my personal mailbox.
Does that mean that, in case of a EXCHANGE server crash
(and rebuild of a new EXCHANGE server with same config),
I would be able to 're-synchronize' my personal mailbox
(OST file) with the new server ? In which case, I would
be able to restore completely the content of my email. OK?

(For 'public folders', no problem because we can achieve
a good replication on other servers localized on
the same site). OK ?

my personal mailbox
.