EXCHANGE Mailboxes replication

  • From: "Jean TIBERGHIEN" <jean.tiberghien@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:33:13 -0700

As a Newby EXCHANGE Administrator (EXCHANGE 5.5), I have been striving
to find a way to 'REPLICATE individual mailboxes' in EXCHANGE - which
would be a great fault-tolerance functionality -. Unluckily, EXCHANGE 5.5
replicates ActiveDirectory, Addressbooks and public folders, but that's
all !  Is there any way to achieve such a mailbox replication ?
Is EXCHANGE server 2003 able to achieve it ?

I have been considering using 'Public Folders' instead (replication
capable) but they can only 'receive' messages, not send them. So they are
useless for worldwide communication and email.

Such a mailbox replication would be a definitive advantage, using EXCHANGE
Server rather than a SMTP server. Moreover, I imagine EXCHANGE server's
RPC could do it easily ... (it already does it for public folders) so why
is this functionality desperately inexistent for individual mailboxes? Any
ideas ?
                   Thanks in advance for your insight

                     Jean