RE: EX2000 Smtp Virtual Server & ISA

  • From: "Paul Heath" <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 01:49:56 +0200

I have the same problem and use a workaround not a solution.

It seems that the DNS the exchange 2000 server uses somehow cannot
resolve the MX records required for smtp mail delivery. Although
microsoft has an KB article about it, that does not solve the problem.

I found out that by forwarding all outbound mail to another machine with
an smtp service on it, your mail will be sent by that machine.
Therefore, the problem must be in the exchange smtp service and how it
handles dns queries because the standard smtp service (meaning the one
you have if you don't install exchange) doesn't have this problem.
To receive delivery notifications for failed or delayed mail delivery,
you must setup a "smtp remote domain" named "your mail domain" for every
domain your hosting, pointing to your exchange smtp server. This way the
second smtp server will know where to deliver those notifications.

Don't think it has anything to do with ISA though...

Regards,

Paul Heath
MCT, MCSE NT4,W2K
www.leraren.nl