Re: ESEUTIL /P

  • From: Debie Allen <debie2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 05:34:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I have run the process successfully on Exhange 5.5,
holding my breath the whole time. A few things to keep
in mind. Obviously, have users clean out mailboxes as
much as possible prior to defrag. Set "Retain deleted
items" to 0 days at least two days prior to defrag.
Run a backup of database prior to defrag, including
deletion of log files.
Copy database to another computer (this was the
longest part of the process for me), defrag it.
Delete original database and copy defragged database
back in. Cross your fingers.
MS has a number of good articles on the subject. If
you haven't already, check them out.
In my case, the defrag didn't open as much space as I
had hoped and I had to go back to users for more
serious mailbox cleaning measures. I would recommend
taking an aggressive approach to mailbox cleaning
before the defrag to maximize the benefit of this
process. If I had done that in the first place, the
defrag wouldn't have been necessary.
Good luck!