• From: "Joseph B. Martin" <jbmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:53:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Enrico:

I recently performed the operation on a 170 GB datastore that took approx 16
hours.  That is roughly 10.5 GB per hour.  Often though, I have seen it work in
the 6 - 8 GB / hr range.  One thing that you will have to consider as your IS
gets above the 96 GB range, is that NT 4.0 does not have the ability to copy the
file back to the original location (if you use a temp drive)...  In that case,
had to use esefile to move the datastore back to its home...

Obviously the performance will be dependent upon the amount of fragmentation in
the Data store, but we recovered about 30 gb of white space so logically, our IS
was somewhere in the 18% fragmented range...

I hope this helps.

Joe Martin

On Thu, 29 August 2002, Enrico Gasparini wrote:

> <a
> Hi,
> Anyone know how fast ESEUTIL /d operates at?
> Reading various sources on the Internet, some say 2GB / Hour and some others
> up
> +to 10GB / Hour, now these rates make a big differance!!
> We are running quite a hefty box, 2x550 mhz PII, 512mb RAM, U/W RAID Card, but
> +the ISPRIV we have inherited is currently @ 80GB, and the other issue is as
> +usual there are no resources to test the speed or how much space will
> actually
> +be reclaimed by the process.
> Any advice/comments appreciated.
> --