Re: ESEUTIL

  • From: "Neil Hobson" <neil.hobson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:50:55 -0600

Yes, it's true that ESEUTIL will reduce the size of your database if you
use it in offline defrag mode (the /d switch).

But ask yourself why you want to reduce the size of the database.
Exchange will reuse the whitespace contained in the database, and once
this has been reused, the physical size of the database will expand again.
 If you reduce the size of the database, it will only grow again in the
future.

The biggest risk with ESEUTIL is when you run it in repair mode (the /p
switch).  Basically, when the repair function finds errors, it deletes the
entire page that the error is in, which means that users will lose some
data.  That's not always that much data, but if your CEO opens a message
and the attachment is then missing...  :-)

That's one of the reasons that using ESEUTIL /p on a database that is then
put back into production isn't supported.

ESEUTIL is a valid, and useful, tool.  But don't run it for the sake of
running it.

Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk