RE: E2K / Mixed Mode / Clients hang

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:43:08 -0500

What version of Outlook ?

Regards,

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Christian.Schramm@xxxxxxx
[mailto:Christian.Schramm@xxxxxxx]
        Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:17 PM
        To: [ExchangeList]
        Subject: [exchangelist] E2K / Mixed Mode / Clients hang

        http://www.MSExchange.org/

        Dear list,

        After migrating some test users to the exchange 2000 server, we
are discovering some issues.

        Config as followed:

        -          Mixed mode site (one 5.5 server / one exchange 2000
server)

        -          Site integrated in organization with several
different sites (some also in mixed mode, some plain 5.5)

        -          Between some the sites are packet filters / firewalls
which don`t let unknown traffic pass through

        The issues we discovered are:

        -          Outlook clients with E2K-mailboxes often hang on
startup or while trying to delete an unread read-notification (?)

        -          While hanging we are discovering the clients want to
contact several exchange 5.5 servers in different sites --> running
against firewall --> timeout --> outlook freezes

        -          The target ports are 135, 139 (netbios) and 445
(Microsoft-ds)

        -          Clients with mailboxes on the old 5.5 server do not
have these kind of problems

        So my question is, why do the exchange 2000 clients want to talk
to so many 5.5 servers? Is it possible to turn this communication off?
Since this behaviour is restricting the usability of the new clients and
we don't want to open these "unsecure" ports on the firewall for all
clients, I need a solution soon.

        Any comments and hints are welcome.

        Thank you in advance.

        Christian