RE: Directory Service

  • From: <paul_lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 20:01:06 +0100

Hi Thomas

I will try and explain this is clearly as possible. There is quite a lot
involved but fortunately none of it should be too bad if you understand the
concepts and follow the correct procedures. See TechNet article 296229.

Here goes my bit in additon:

Firstly. When rebuilding the server the following are absolutely essential:

The Server name must be the same. This is essential as the Directory service
will not start if it isn't. Having said that it is possible to reconstruct
the Directory with only the Information Store but I would not recommend it
in your current situation.

Next: The service pack and hotfix levels must be identical to when the
backup was done for both the OS and Exchange.

Next: The database paths when you run the optimiser at the end of
reinstalling Exchange MUST be identical to when the backup was done.

Next: When installing Exchange DO NOT delete the server from the Site to get
it back in. At the stage where you add the server to the Site you need to
choose the create a new Site but specify the current Site name and it will
go in just fine. If you delete the server from another server in the site
and then readd the one you are rebuilding all your mailboxes on the server
you are rebuilding will be deleted as soon as it connects.

Next: Never compress the IS drive. Corruption is almost guaranteed.

Next: You do need to set the Restore in Progress Key in the registry for
this to work though. Sorry I am a bit rusty on that one I'm afraid. See
TechNet article Q200941. It is mentioned in TechNet article 296229 too. See
Q247109 too.

Perhaps others can help on where I have missed anything out. I think that
should be enough to get you the basic server back up and running.

Hope that helps. Get back to me if I can help further at all.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.