RE: Directory Harvest Attack

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:56:32 -0400

From: Tiago de Aviz [mailto:Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 9:56 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] Directory Harvest Attack

Hello All,

I've been suffering a DHA for the last two weeks. Nothing major, just a couple
of e-mails per minute, but it is clogging my spam box with all kinds of invalid

I've disabled NDR´s so the dude who's sending these things won't be able to
know which e-mails are valid or not.

I´ve tracked these messages and they appear to be coming from all over the
place. How can I fight it? Disabling NDR´s is not a cool solution because
people can´t know if a message was delivered here.

Thanks in advance,

List Archives:
World of Windows Networking:
Leading Network Software Directory:
No.1 ISA Server Resource Site:
Windows Security Resource Site:
Network Security Library:

or used by any person other than the recipient named above.

unlawful. Optimum IT Solutions Ltd disclaims any liability for any action taken
in connection of this E-Mail. The comments or statements expressed in this
E-Mail are not necessarily those of Optimum IT Solutions Ltd or its
subsidiaries or affiliates.