Dial-in configuration error message

  • From: "A. Michael Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:37:21 -0500 (EST)

I am running Win2003 and Exchange Ent. 2003.  The Exchangve server is
housed in a remote data center and *ALL* the clients are remote, i.e. not
on the local LAN, they are across the Internet somewhere (various places).
OWA is not an option, they do not want to use OWA.

I am trying to set it up so these remote clients can use their regular
Outlook 2003 (NOT OWA) and do calendaring, public folders etc.  like they
would "normally" had the Exchange server been on the local LAN.

So ... I am setting up Windows VPN for them, or trying to.  I have VPN
configured at the server end with separate dedicated IP's and a separate
NIC for the VPN access.  However when I go into AD and try to configure
each remote user's "Dial-in" tab, I get this strange error message:

"Could not load the network path for this user because: The network path
was not found".

As far as I can tell, AD is working fine, I can access directories etc.
via \\mycomputer\d$ etc.  And all other Exchange functions seem to be
running smoothly.

So I have two questions:

a) How do I figure out what is causing this error message, and fix it?  I
have done the usual google searches and not come up with anything very
useful so far.

b) Is there a better or different way, other than using Windows VPN?  Is
this the right approach for this scenario, to allow remote users to use
Outlook 2003 (they do not want to use OWA).

best regards