Deleting dead Exchange 5.5 server from site

  • From: Tony McCarthy <Tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:18:56 +1200

Hi Everyone,

An Exchange 5.5 server that was nearly due for retirement has just
crashed and burned. It was the first site server but fortunately I'd moved
all its responsibilities to a new Exchange server (in the site) before the
crash. The Sys Admin at this particular office hadn't been doing regular
backups of the OS and Exchange directories so I'm left with a server
that exists as an object in the site but doesn't do anything and can't be
resurrected. When the old server was rebuilt the sys admin was able to
restore the old Exchange directories but not any registry stuff (for obvious
reasons). I've read articles Q152959 and Q152960 and followed all of the
relevant steps. I was about to delete the server from the site but got a
warning about the server containing a number of mailboxes, gateways etc. It
only had old mailboxes that were of no real use and I don't really see
how the gateways can be an issue since the server is dead anyway. Can any
harm be done by deleting this dead server from the site? The main problem at
the moment is that the other server in this site is trying to replicate
Public Info Store MTA stuff to the dead server. I'm not sure why it's doing
this since I'm not intentionally replicating any public folders etc to the
dead server. I'd appreciate any feedback re this.

Regards
Tony