[ExchangeList] Re: Deleting attachments

  • From: "Rick Boza" <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:43:47 -0400

I agree 100% that you don't design around your exceptions.  You design
around your broad majority - most systems can meet  what 95% of your
user community needs and/or wants.  It's our job as technologists to
explain, clarify, convince, cajole, and influence those budgets to allow
that design to meet those needs.  I know, sometimes you just can't - but
all too often it seems people go into a design with the way it ought to
work already in their mind, and nothing is going to change that.  The
budget discussions often don't center around meeting the real business
requirements - more likely around how much hardware can I buy?

I'm talking about designing the system to meet the way users want to use
it, rather than trying to narrowly define how it will be used (and note,
I'm not focusing on you, Carl - just responding to your post).

I agree you design within constraints - I'm simply pointing out that
many, many email folks seem to design with their vision in mind, rather
than actually looking at the way their business users want, prefer, and
perhaps even need the system to work.  If people just like keeping their
data in "Outlook" as the place they know where it is, they know it's
backed up and protected - why should we work so hard to prevent that?

All I'm saying is to be facilitators, not Mordac - at least, as much as
possible.  When I talk to IT admins, all too often I get the impression
they have already decided how the system should work without even
looking at the business needs.  "They don't need that" and "They expect
us to KNOW what they need" are two very common responses.  Just a bit
short sighted IMHO.

Along these lines, I might disagree with your opening statement - while
there are certainly many who would be happy to enhance the system, I
certainly run into quite a few who seem to take perverse pleasure in
denying something to the user community (BOFH).