[ExchangeList] Re: Deleting attachments

  • From: "Carl Houseman" <c.houseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:53:52 -0400

I'm sure any technologist here or anywhere would happily design a system
with enough storage and speed to meet the needs of the most lazy, er,
demanding users.  Who among us wouldn't jump at the chance to do that at
every turn?

The problem is, the decision isn't up to the technologists.  Most of the
time, it's up to the bean counters.

So what we are left with is a compromise.   That is, a storage solution that
accomodates the average needs but, if allowed, can be brought down by
way-way-above-average needs of a few.  And there is nothing more anathema to
a technologist than a system that can be taken down by a small subset of
users.

Hence the small subset have to learn that the world has boundaries.  And
who's going to teach them that?  The bean counters?  Ha!

And naturally, that small subset are usually the ones who spout off
negatively about I.T. all the while happily praising the bean counters for
keeping costs under control.

One good testy deserves another, I always say...

Carl

  _____