RE: Defragmentation on exchange 5.5

  • From: Joe Kinne <JoeK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:01:29 -0700

Couple of things going on here......Never ever Never try to use another
machine for the temp database storage when doing anything with eseutil.
It's just bad ju-ju , I have had to try and recover many systems for clients
that thought that it was a good idea since they didn't have room on the
local server, trust me it's cheaper in the long run to buy an extra drive
and use it only for DB maint than it is to have a MSX engineer come out to
your office.   Most people have the problem that you describe with it
failing at some point in the process, other manage to have it finish, then
they try to mount the store problems start occurring ranging from unable to
mount the store to random corrupt data.    You are correct in the amount of
space needed on the "local" machine.

--Joe Kinne
--Sr Network Engineer
--Prime Electric, Inc.