Decommission Exchange Site

  • From: "Byrne, Steve" <Steve.Byrne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:28:48 +1300

I am about to consolidate our Exchange Org down to 7 seven sites from 11.
There is 1 exchange server in each site.
Can anyone offer better solutions or advise to my plan below?
1. I plan to exmerge the mailboxes over the WAN to our head office exchange
server. The sites I am decommissioning contain around 30 mailboxes each. The
WAN links range from 512kb to 2MB. I am allowing a weekend to do each site.
2. Once the Mailboxes are moved, I will delete the source mailboxes.
3. Replicate any public folders to another Exchange server at a different
4. Shutdown the Exchange server.
5. From Exchange Admin at another site, delete the decommissioned server.
5. From the other existing sites, delete any directory replication
connectors and site connectors to the decommissioned exchange site.
6. I assume I don't need to worry about moving free/busy and the other
'first server in the site' roles - the site is being deleted anyway..?
Can anyone think of an easier way to move these mailboxes? EXMERGE doesn't
create the destination mailboxes, making it quite a hassle. I have looked at
NetIQ, but it is too expensive...
Steve Byrne