Database corruption after moving mailbox from 5.5 to 2003?

  • From: "Tom Battersby" <tomb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:28:13 -0600

We are currently moving from a single Exchange 5.5 server (NT4 SP6a BDC)
to a single 2003 standard edition server SP1 running on windows 2003
server standard, with all SUS deployable patches installed. We have got
the two servers running in the same site, replicating etc. Our AD has
mainly 2000 SP4 domain controllers, and the exchange server itself is a DC
(2003). The Active Directory connector is on the new 2003 server. We are
in AD mixed mode due to the legacy mail server.

We moved test mailboxes over OK, and I moved my own mailbox (c.
45MB)without any problems. However, the last two mailboxes that I moved
using the move mailbox wizard have caused the mail store to report itself
corrupted (both were c. 80MB).

There is no loss of functionality in Outlook for the moved user, the store
will mount and dismount OK, and the event log just says that it moved the
mailbox. The wizard also says everything is fine when you do the move.

However eseutil /g says 'Database is CORRUPTED!' and backups of the
information store fail both with NTbackup and backup exec 9 sp1 agent for
exchange. The first time I wasn't sure it was the migration as i didn't
spot it straight away, but i have just moved another box, running eseutil
/g immediately before and after the move. Before - OK. After - corrupt.

BUT - if i run eseutil /d on the database, it completes fine, and eseutil
/g subsequently reports all is well, ie it has fixed itself.

And although the information store object can't be backed up when it
reports as corrupt, i could still back up every mailbox without any

The only errors I have got in the event log are related to the system
attendant trying to access the store whilst it is dismounted for defrag -
I have two 9175 and two 1005 errors.

Anybody seen this before, know how to avoid it or what? Anybody know if it
is a real problem or not?