RE: DSAccess can't find domain controller

  • From: "Robert Abela" <robert@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:18:05 +0200

It looks like a dns problem.  Domain prep basically is just adding some 
usergroups to the active directory of exchanfge.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lorie Gordon [mailto:lgordon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 4:12 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: DSAccess can't find domain controller

Have you tried running domainprep? 

-----Original Message----- 
From: George Duncanson [ mailto:george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 5:47 PM 
To: [ExchangeList] 
Subject: [exchangelist] DSAccess can't find domain controller 

I'd be extremely grateful for any thoughts on the following. 

Setup: win 2k sp2 Ex 2000 sp3 (was SP2 at the time of the grief. Hoped SP3 
would solve the problem. no chance!) 

Grief :  Numerous error messages in system and application logs but they all 
seem to stem from DSAccess being unable to find a domain controller. I get 
event ID 2102 "All Domain controllers in use are not responding" I also get: 
DSAccess will use the servers from the following list 
Domain Controllers: 

Global Catalog Servers: 

The configuration controller is set to <none> 

When I try to force DSAcccess to use a DC as a configuration controller, 
with the registry,  I'm told it can't be found in the Sites container.(It's 
Manually starting the Sytem attendent gives me "no errors but can't start" 

This leads on to Metabase failures (ID 1002 and 1004), Unknown Errors in 
exchange system (1005) etc. 
The system log shows that it starts the IFS but can't find the paths to the 
m: drive which is not surprising as the store and attendent don't start. 
Ending with two fatal errors creating SSL credentials (ID 36871) 

One of the three DC's was renamed a few weeks ago but all was working 
perfectly until I went on holiday last week! 24 hours after I left I'm told 
that things just stopped working for no good reason.......... 

All else seems fine. AD replication, DNS etc. I've looked at numerous KB 
aricles and checked permissions and DNS etc to no avail. Obviously my 
exchange server has lost sight of my DC's (how?) and perhaps this is a 
win2000 problem but all else seems to be fine? 
Is reinstalling with /domainprep the best solution here? Am I missing 
something simple? 

Grateful for any help. My users are getting antsy without their mail (and 
not happy that I went on holiday!) 
Many thanks 

You are currently subscribed to this Discussion List as: 
To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst('Email.Unsub') 

You are currently subscribed to this Discussion List as: 
To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst('Email.Unsub') 

This mail was content checked for malicious code and viruses
by GFI MailSecurity. GFI MailSecurity provides email content 
checking, exploit detection and anti-virus for Exchange & 
SMTP servers. Spam, viruses, dangerous attachments and
offensive content are removed automatically. Key features 
include: Multiple virus engines; Email content & attachment 
checking; Exploit shield - email intrusion detection & defence; 
Email threats engine - analyses & defuses HTML scripts, 
.exe files & more. 

In addition to GFI MailSecurity, GFI also produces the GFI 
FAXmaker fax server & GFI LANguard network security product 
ranges. For more information on our products, please visit This disclaimer was sent by GFI MailEssentials 
for Exchange/SMTP.

Other related posts: