RE: Create an SMTP gateway

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:25:23 -0400

Absolutely.

From: Dan Vanden Bosch [mailto:dvandenbosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 11:36 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Create an SMTP gateway

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Our Exchange server processes about 7,000 messages per weekday. I'm
guessing about 4,000 of those are incoming from the outside world, and
I'm guessing about 1,000 go from the inside to the outside world.

I'm hoping to not have buy another Exchange license. I was hoping I
could simply throw in a box running Windows 2000 or 2003 Server with
SMTP service and add it as a relay for the Exchange box. On the
firewall, I'd change the smtp port to forward to the new server instead
of the Exchange server. I'd also make the new box the local bridgehead
on the Exchange Server's Internet Mail connector. Would that be a
solution?

http://www.ntfaxfaq.com