Converting 8-bit mime encoded messages to 7-bit when sending from e2k3 to e5.5

  • From: "Jordan Arendt" <jordan.arendt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:36:56 -0600

Hi all,

I am currently in a situation where I need to forward mail from an Exchange
2003 server to a 5.5 server (until we get everyone migrated).  I've run into
the issue where the 2k3 box recieves an email as 8bit mime and then doesn't
convert it to 7-bit when forwarding to the 5.5 server.  I've tried seting
the connectors that point to my 5.5 bridgehead to send HELO instead of EHLO
when connecting to the 5.5 box.  No dice.  The only other thing I've found
would be to disable the 8bitmime from being advertised by editing the
metabase (thus receiving all email as 7-bit).  I am reluctant to do this.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257569 .

Anyone have any other ideas on how I could fix this?  If not I guess I'll
bite the bullet.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan