RE: Contacting You Of List

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:30:05 +1000

OK that makes sense. I hadn't seen the last bit. In my personal opinion
you are headed in the right direction as far as the servers your looking
at. ISA 2004's application layer filtering will give you a distinct
advantage over some of its "peers" in protecting your network from both
internal and external attacks. Certainly, the latest versions of these
software packages which you intend on are the latest and most secure we
have been able to obtain thus far. When configured properly they will
give you ample protection, in fact ive worked in many scenarios with
just such a setup or variations therein.

As far as exchange stopping spam, the new Exchange 2003 Intelligent
Message Filter works to an extent but most people generally use some
other form of mail gateway in the form of another win2k3 box that runs
something like GFI Mail Essentials and Mail Security and the like. One
other option is to also leverage ISA message screener and message filter
with IIS virtual domain setup on another box. Another option, my choice,
is to employ a Linux based MTA such as postfix or sendmail with
spamassassin and amavisd for some really nice spam whacking etc. The
drawback of this is that even tho its open source, you need to have the
linux skills to be able to hack it up. Having said that it is very
learnable, and a rewarding process. The box I built hasn't missed a
beat.

For spam solutions with exchange theres heaps of stuff at
www.msexchange.org

And for isa information, you cant go past the docs on www.isaserver.org

HTH

Greg Mulholland