Connectivity through PIX firewall

  • From: "Bindesh Patel" <Bindesh.Patel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:57:42 -0000

Hi all,
i am trying to implement a new exchnage environment and have some
questions regarding connection from outlook clients to exchnage 2000
cluster though a firewall.
we have opened up ports 25, 135, and 435 to the exchnage server from
clients but what seems to happen is that exchnage picks random ports
when connecting to the information store and directory services. We dont
want to open the firewall for hundreds of these port numbers( ie 5000,
5421 etc)  and was wondering of we could use something like IP Sec to
determine connectivity. Has anyone come across this issue? we have tried
to assign these staticaly but does not work with exchnage in a clustered
any help will be appreciated.
many thanks
Bindesh Patel.

This e-mail, and any attachments, has been checked by us for computer
viruses.  Although none have been detected we cannot guarantee that it
is completely free from such problems and we do not accept any
liability for loss or damage that may be caused.  We would therefore
advise you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any

If you do find a computer virus please inform us immediately by e-
mailing administrator@xxxxxxxxxxx so that we may take appropriate

The contents and attachments are intended solely for the addressee and
are confidential.   If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by
e-mail immediately, and delete the message from your computer without
making any copies.

For more information please visit