Connecting mailboxes for roving users - similar usernames

  • From: "JD" <jgd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:32:17 -0600

I use Profgen.exe (in Exchange 2000 Resource Kit) to connect users to their
mailboxes in the logon script. This is because I have hundreds of roving users
who move from machine to machine. Profgen then looks at an Outlook.prf file
which you specify and can include %USERNAME% in for the mailbox name.
%USERNAME% hooks up to the display name of the user in AD, which then connects
it to the GUID of the mailbox.

However, I have one major problem. If a user has username 'abc' and another
user exists with username abcd or dabc, then Outlook always asks you whether
you want mailbox abc, abcd or dabc after you have logged in and %USERNAME% is
abc. Very annoying, particularly as several of our users have short usernames
which are contained in other usernames - hence they get a long list of
mailboxes to connect to every time they log on and open Outlook.  It seems
outlook won't accept that I have specified the EXACT mailbox name and insists
on doing an Active Directory search for the string.  If the search returns more
than one mailbox name then it doesn't automatically connect but gives a choice.

Anyone know of a solution? Can this AD search be prevented?
Many thanks in advance for any help offered - I have a lot of frustrated users
here and can't be the only one with this problem!