RE: Connecting Exchange servers

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:18:30 -0800

My problem was resolved with help from Al Mulnick.

Problem: Adding a new server to existing domain and administrative group.
Users on one server could not send to user on the other server.

Cause: All incoming and outgoing e-mail goes through a gateway server,
otherwise known as a smart host. Both SMTP VS were configured to send
outgoing e-mail to the smart host. This is the way it should be. The
original IT company that set the original server up had also created an
Internet Mail SMTP connector. This as Al and others pointed out was
redundant. This connector has caused headaches in the past, but since it was
working, I left it alone.

Resolution: Remove the Internet Mail connector. At first this did not work.
I even restarted the servers. Then, after reviewing Winroute, which still
showed the connector there with a problem even thought I deleted it, Al
suggested restarting both servers at the exact same time, so they were both
down at the same time. Worked. Turns out it is a routing state bug that was
thought to have been fixed, but apparently is not. Quote from Al on that
issue: "The problem is that routing state is too fault-tolerant.  It's kept
by all members in the ORG/Forest so if something gets in but won't get out,
and then restarting the problem routing master won't reset the condition.
It will just backfill from the others.  That's bad as you get to larger and
larger implementations as you can imagine."

John Tolmachoff
eServices For You