RE: Confusing NDR

  • From: "Greg Wright" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:22:23 +1000

First thing to do, is check your SMTP logging. Find out what the logfile tells
you.

If there is anything there and your not sure, sanitise the information and post
it here.

Secondly, have you tried telnetting from your server to their mailserver? This
will verify that SMTP connections from your system to theirs works. This will
not take into account any DNS issue's.

It might be possible that they have a secondary MX hosted by their upstream ISP
in case of downtime. Ive seen ISP's tighten security, and make mistakes, then
when DNS refers a mail server to the secondary (for whatever reason) the ISP is
actually the one that causes the NDR.

Good Luck.

Greg.