Centrally manage OPTIONS in multiple Exchange mailbox accounts.

  • From: "Alfonso Lopez de Ayala" <alopezdeayala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:36:46 -0800

THE QUESTION, BRIEFLY STATED:
-----------------------------
Is there a way I can set Exchange mailbox options without having to log
in as each user?  I'm talking about options like "Resource Scheduling"
(for direct booking, to automatically accept meeting requests & process
cancellations, etc.), which are not available thru Group Policy
administrative templates.

THE LONGER EXPLANATION/BACKGROUND:
----------------------------------
I regularly use the following two features/techniques to centrally
manage multiple Exchange mailbox accounts without having to log in as
those users:

1.- Using Outlook to open those user's mailboxes and setting permissions
and other properties in their folders (as admin I set access permissions
to those mailbox accounts, so I can add them in Outlook and they appear
in the folder list)

2.- Using Group Policy administrative templates for Outlook (office.adm
and outlook.adm files), I can set a number of settings.

HOWEVER, I CANNOT set (some) OPTIONS on those accounts using these
techniques -- options like "Resource Scheduling" to have meeting
requests be replied to automatically:
1.- If I'm logged in as admin, select those user's mailboxes in Outlook,
and click Tools > Options, I get the admin's options, and not the users'
options.
2.- These options are not available to be set thru the Outlook (or
Office) administrative templates.

Is there a way I can set these mailbox options without having to log in
as those users, which is not practical?
(because user's change their passwords all the time, which means I don't
know what they are, and thus I'd have to either ask them for their
password, or reset their passwords and then tell them individually the
new password later, or physically walk by them individually when they're
logged on their computers)

Thank you so much in advance.

Alfonso