RE: Can't receive any email yet I can get messenger pop ups...

  • From: "Patrick Wheaton" <PWheaton@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:38:43 -0700

I started out with a Linksys DSL router.  very simple, easy to setup,
reliable, primitive.  the Linksys does not have nearly the features of a
full featured firewall like ISA server.
I switched to ISA when it was still in beta and have never looked at a
Linksys since.  ISA is a much better product, a little harder to setup,
but worth it.  It has been out for a while now and their are some really
good books out there two good ones by schindler or something.

Make sure you apply SP1 and Feature Pack 1

Patrick

The information contained in this email is legally privileged and
confidential information
only for the use of the individual or Brown & Toland Medical Group. Any
dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this document is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this in
error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this message,
and then delete
all copies of it from your system. Thank you.

"John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/30/2003 09:03 AM
Please respond to "[ExchangeList]"

        To:     "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [exchangelist] RE: Can't receive any email yet I
can get messenger pop ups...

http://www.MSExchange.org/

> I've got a copy of ISA ent lying around and I've been thinking long and
> hard about setting it up on this network and doing away with this
> linksys. From what I've read so far, the learning curve is tremendous
> and it demands special attention when being used on dsl connections.

The learning curve is only "tremendous" if you are doing things that are
not
normal. Some DSL connections require special attention, not because of ISA
but because of DSL. (Dynamic IP, PPPoE, Ameritech, SBC, etc...)

There is a lot of information available at isaserver.org.

And yes, Linksys routers are not the best item to use for hosting services
such as e-mail.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You