Cannot receive any external mail

  • From: Gerhard Marini <gerhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:14:11 +0700

Hi all,

our Exchange2k server has been set up to retrieve all incoming mails by a pop3
connector. Our set-up includes two domains: the actual, internal one, and one
masquerade domain. Both have been set up in the SMTP connector. The e-mails are
retrieved by the pop3 connector without any error message and forwarded to the
exchange server.

However, the mails get never delivered to the mailbox and the external sender
gets a
Non- Delivered Report:

Action: failed

The message tracking center of the Exchange system manager gives the following
SMTP: Message submitted to Avanced Queuing
SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer
SMTP: Advanced Queue Failed to Deliver Message
SMTP: Non-Delivered Report (NDR) Generated

Sending mails within the intranet domain works, also sending mails to external

My first guess is that maybe something with the DNS set-up is messed up .

1. What are the possible (other) error sources?
2. How can I ( beginner level ;->) check if everything is ok with the DNS set

Thanks for any advice,