RE: CA Products Was: Information Store service will not start...

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:20:46 -0700

> Don't do it John, stick with Backup-Exec. In my experience BE is far
> easier to install, configure and manage. It is also far far superior in
> my opinion than any of the Arcserve/brighstor products. BE always seems
> to work straight out of the box, whereas the CA stuff nearly always
> needs varioss patches and service packs to operate.

Such a strong statement coming from Steve means a lot.

BTW, here is an interesting note on the new version of BrightStor. Version 9
came out as a result of Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003. OK, ok.

HOWEVER, I installed the full trial on a Windows Server 2003 DC, and guess
what, it rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted, and...

Had to go in safe mode, disable all the BrightStor services, then boot
normal and uninstall.

Turns out, BrightStor 9.0 was bassed on testing with Windows Server 2003
Beta2.  The released version of Windows Server 2003 requires BrightStor
9.01.

Their own sales people did not know this.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You
www.eservicesforyou.com