[ExchangeList] Re: C126127076 - 1&1 Internet Support Re: Re: Restricting access to GAL exchange 2007

  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:27:13 -0300

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------So some ass signs up
with a helpdesk email......brains..lol

-----Original Message-----
From: exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of support@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:21 AM
To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ExchangeList] C126127076 - 1&1 Internet Support Re: Re: Restricting
access to GAL exchange 2007

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------------=_Part_61285_12393600.1237461648534

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

May we know your account number?  Could you please explain to us what
you mean by GAL?  If you have an exchange account may we know the email
address that you used?  We need to verify those information so that we
can come up a proper resolution to your concern.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,
Franklin Garcia

> What I need to do is prevent 10 users from being able to browse the
GAL. All other users should be able to browse and see all users. We want
to prevent students from being able to see teacher and other staff email
addresses in the GAL. If possible all they should be able to see are
thier fellow students. So not sure if your proposal below applies, but I
might be wrong.

> Thanks
>
> Patrick

but not the user(s) on in, you can do two things.

> If you want to hide a user, or a group, you can disable(or hide) is
address in your Domain Controller.
> In the user properties, and in the Exchange Advanced, you can hide
from the Exchange address List.

> You can list all the users that have this visible, or hidden.
>
> 1. Bring up Active Directory Users & Computers.
> 2. Right-click your domain name at the top, and choose Find.
> 3. In the Find combo box at the top, select Custom Search.
> 4. Click the Advanced tab.
> 5. Paste in the following LDAP query and then click Find Now.
>
> (&(objectclass=user)(msExchHideFromAddressLists=TRUE))
>
> The list of hidden mailboxes will then be displayed. Don't forget that
this will include System Mailboxes. Be sure to leave those alone!

> And  how to do this automatic for all your users, you can use the EMC
console and use msExchHideFromAddressLists, and you also can take a look
at this script how to do it automatic for all users.

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 Patrick wrote :
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >I have a request to restrict access to the GAL for one of my
schools.

> >Situation:
> >
> >Exchange 2007
> >Windows 2003
> >
> >Currently only staff have mailboxes, but we want to introduce
mailboxes for a students working on a project.

> >Requirement:
> >
> >Students should be able to send and receive internal and external
mail ok.
> >Students should not be able to browse the GAL.
> >
> >If possible students mailboxes should not be visible in the GAL.
> >

> >Thanks
> >

> >Patrick
> >

> > Best Regards,
> Jitendra Singh