RE: Bridgehead Exchange Server Build

  • From: "Amy Kohler" <akohler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:58:50 -0500

Currently we have an FE OWA server in the DMZ. We have a dedicated SMTP Gateway
for inbound and a dedicated SMTP (Symantec) Gatway for outbound. We have a
master be and a cluster be. A microsoft health guy came in last month and said
that since we have restrictions to not let certain users be able to send
internet mail (configured on the connector) we should implement a dedicated
bridgehead server to take off the process toll of the...

Here is what he wrote:
The first is the lack of a dedicated bridgehead server.  In a small environment
this is not a problem in and of itself, as all servers can still email all
others and the Internet with no problems.  However, as message volumes
increase, the lack of a dedicated routing server will be felt as mailbox
servers suffer under an increased routing load.

The use of restrictions on connectors is particularly problematic in an
environment without dedicated routing servers.  Restriction checking is
extremely processor intensive, as the criteria must be re-evaluated for each
message.  Having mailbox servers spend precious cycles upon evaluating message
criteria is inherently inefficient.  By deploying a dedicated bridgehead
server, this restriction checking can be offloaded to a server whose primary
function is to perform such work.  EXCHSTL1 is the current bridgehead for the
outbound SMTP connector to the Internet.

Therefore, we want to set up a dedicated exchange bridgehead server inside the
DMZ that the mail can flow through and can process the restrictions on the
connector and take processor work off of the master server. Does this help?