Brain teaser regarding rules and Outlook 2003

  • From: "Chris Wall" <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:51:58 -0500

Hello all,

  User is running Outlook 2003 in our Exchange 2003 environment.

Issue:  User has rules that automatically moves e-mail from their
mailbox to a PST file on their local machine.  The user launched
outlook, and the rule began filtering the mail to her PST and her PC
froze and locked up in the process.  Upon rebooting, her 65 new e-mails
that were being moved were no where to be found.

My question: is there any way to recover these mails?  While a rule is
running, are copies of the messages stored anywhere in a temp file on
her local machine?  Since our backups run nightly, and these new
messages were received AFTER the prior nights backup, the messages are
not on tape, so I can not restore them.  Also, the deleted item
retention will not come into play here.

I normally would let this be a slap on the wrist for a user with this
type of setup (since we do not recommend this type of action) but this
is a VP who needs those mails.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chris