RE: Block access to ports

  • From: "Mike Liddekee" <mliddekee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:38:01 -0500

That's correct.  135 is a critical port that is used by Windows and
numerous applications.  Its something you should never have open to the
Internet.  There are numerous ways to make outlook available to users
over the Internet without opening ports.  However there is no way to
block this port internally on your network.  You could certainly lock
down servers using tcp/ip filtering on each individual machine buts
that's time-consuming and its one of those things that is a mixed bag.
You could block everything except on the essentials but if you try to
rely on that alone and never do any more work, next week a hacker will
find a vulnerability in one of those essentials that you left open and
shut you down.  Any company that's on the internet today and doesn't
have a properly configured firewall is just asking for trouble.  But in
the same sense, you can't rely on a firewall alone.  You have to have a
multi-teir security setup in place to order to maximize your level of
protection.  It costs money but you need to weigh the costs of your
operations being down for hours or even days when someone sends you the
next nasty virus that you could have been protected from.  Hindsight is
always 20-20.

Regards,

Mike Liddekee

Network Engineer