RE: Blackberry on Exch 2000

  • From: "Hite, Ronald L" <rhite@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:55:05 -0600

RIM has a solution (Blackberry Enterprise Server - BES) which integrates with
your Ex5.5 server.  The server redirects inbound mail to the BB device and
allows outbound mail from the BB device as if it were from your Exchange based
mailbox.  The messages are sent using the person's exchange SMTP address, so
recipients don't need to be confused by multiple addresses for the person and
the person keeps all his/her mail in one location.

There are specs on  It's basically a stable product.  The
cost may be prohibitive for smaller offices as you need a separate box to run
the BES.  (RIM doesn't recommend using the Exchange server.)  There may also be
issues if your current BB devices are the "internet" edition.  I'm not sure
what you'd need to do to convert them to "enterprise" edition.

Ron Hite
Network Administrator
Bell, Boyd & Lloyd LLC
t - 312-558-6285