Best method to distinguish between SMTP address of Employees and Consultants

  • From: "Sanz de Leon, Juan Carlos" <jcsanz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:46:00 +0100

Dear gurus,

    Anyone know: What is Microsoft´s best practice under this scenario ?

    Our management has made the decision to make a distinction in the email
SMTP address of employees who work for our company versus consultants who even
thou work for us,  are not employees of it.  With this in mind, we need to find
the best decision on what's the best method to implement and the implications
of using one method versus another with regards to Exchange.  Perhaps some of
you could give me examples of what your companies do with regards to Exchange
users under these scenarios ( consultants, external users, etcc..).  I would
also like to know the pros and cons of using one method versus another.... and
how it might affect Active Directory, SingleSignOn, Our Antivirus Systems or
even OWA. Or even if you know of any KB articles that discuss this scenario.

Scenario:

--  Currently, all our users ( Consultants 4000 mailboxes versus Employees 6000
mailboxes) have the same email address domain  @ourcompany.com
--   We have Exchange 2000 with about 50 Sites and 100 servers in 1 Forest and
about 50 domains. ( 10,000 mailboxes)
--   Currently we share the same servers and make no distinction the SMTP
address of a consultant versus employees.

 Alternatives we are considering:

    a)   Changing the smtp address of consultants adding (-consultant) such as:
       joesmith-consultant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:joesmith-consultant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    b)   Adding another sub-domain called consultants such as:
joesmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:joesmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    c)   Creating a whole new domain just for them:
joesmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our concern of this decision is mostly on the impact it might have on Active
Directory and Exchange... and also what alternative is the least intrusive on
the users and migration.  We are not considering moving consultants to other
Exchange 2000 servers.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, as well as comments the
alternatives we are considering.

Thanks,
Juan Carlos

  _____

Advertencia / Confidentiality Notice

Este envío es confidencial y está destinado únicamente a la persona a la que ha
sido enviado. Puede contener información privada y confidencial. Si usted no es
el destinatario al que ha sido remitida, no puede copiarla, distribuirla ni
emprender con ella ningún tipo de acción. Si cree que lo ha recibido por error,
por favor, notifíquelo al remitente.

This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person to whom it
is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance on it. If you believe that you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender.

Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea

~ CounterSpy Enterprise: Editor's Choice WindowsIT Pro Magazine! ~
~ <http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpyEnterprise.cfm> ~