Re: Backup/DR Systems for Exchange

  • From: Paul Larson <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 04:25:51 -0500

We two backups of the database. One at noon, everyone is at lunch so whyn't take advantage of the time, and then one in the early evening. The evening one is then backed up using a offsite delta backup facility. Probably didn't do it the best way, but for DR I started with the assumption that the System State backup wouldn't work with a major change in equipment, ie... the cheapest PC we could grab off the self as a stop gap until a better system was recieved. Since the Exchange server is also the domain server,
in addition to the standard backup of the System State we run a ldifde batch job and export the users and groups information to a file which is backed up with the database backup to the offsite storage site.

Paul Larson

Danny wrote:

We all obviously have different budgets, SLA's, mailboxes
requirements, etc., but we all have one goal in common when disaster
strikes: to successfully and quickly restore our backups.

I am interested to hear what systems you have had the most success?

For me/us, I use NTBackup, full backups every evening to RAID 1 disks
onto another server in the LAN, and then the backup is copied onto
SDLT tape. We have not had any disasters, so I can't say it's the best
for us right now, but I have done some testing and I don't have any
major complaints. Please feel free (I encourage it) to go into more
detail with your configs.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.