RE: Backup mail server (One domain, two mail s erve- rs)

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:51:14 -0400

Doesn't have to replicate.  SMTP is a store and forward transport.  You can
exploit this behavior and have one server that normally accepts email for
your mailboxes (e.g. you mailbox server), and one that is configured that
should it receive mail, would forward it to the Exchange server.  This could
be a FE server or it could be a separate SMTP MTA.  Either way, it's only
job is to receive mail and in the event that the mailbox server is unable to
accept mail for non-fatal reason, to queue the mail until the mailbox server
is once again operational.  At that time it should dequeue and normal
operation would resume. The non-mailbox server would have a higher MX cost.

Al