RE: Backup Exchange 2000

  • From: "merril bouckley" <mbouckley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:22:47 +1000

Thanks Matt, I will try this option

-----Original Message-----
From: Walkowiak, Matt [mailto:Matt.Walkowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 27 June, 2002 12:23 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Backup Exchange 2000

http://www.MSExchange.org/ - Re-Vamped!

One thing no one has mentioned would be to use ExMerge to backup the
individual mailboxes to .PST files, then back THOSE up to tape.

I haven't looked that hard, but it looks like you can run ExMerge from
the cmd line, so you could probably schedule it to run 60 minutes before
you start your backup.  I believe that once the .PST files are created
the first time, it only copies the changes thereafter making this
process much faster, but I could be wrong.

It also looks like you can run ExMerge from another computer - it
doesn't have to be run on the Exchange server - just gotta copy a bunch
of .DLL files into the same dir as the Exmerge.exe file.

You do need to be a little bit careful tho... the .PST files that
ExMerge crates are not encrypted or password protected at all, so anyone
can read them with a copy of Outlook.

Matt Walkowiak