Backing up exchange 101 - was RE: [exchangelist]

  • From: "Jamie A. Byrnes" <jabyrnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:56:38 +0930

To save further speculation let me clarify how to backup exchange.

First remember that exchange is a database. You can get a full backup of
your server by taking exchange offline (stop the services) and running a
file level backup. Fortunately NTBackup is exchange aware (provided you
have the correct version for your version of exchange) and will backup
the database correctly while still online.

Then you have your third-party backup solutions like BackupExec. By
itself BE is not "exchange aware" and the exchange services would need
to be stopped to get a full backup. Note that the open file option will
NOT work on databases. Instead an "exchange agent" is needed, and this
will allow full online backups as well.

Also possible with an exchange agent is the "brick-level" backup, or
mailbox-by-mailbox. I guess this could be handy if you have a large
database and only need to restore one mailbox, however most people
prefer to extend the deleted mailbox retension time in exchange than
restore mailboxes. A good policy helps here, ie. keep mailboxes for one
month, then dump to .pst and delete FOREVER.

And as everyone will tell you, don't touch the M:. Don't move files,
don't virusscan, and don't backup. Ever.

Jamie.