Re: Backing up Exchange Server

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:41:58 -0400

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:06:44 +1000, Ryan Sabir <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just starting to look at getting an Exchange server in our
> organization. What different backup options are there for Exchange
> Server?

Have a read through this great article:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-Backup-Strategies.html

> We are using Veritas Backup Exec at the moment, but don't have the
> Exchange Agent option... Is there a way to get Exchange to dump its
> whole database to a file every night, and back that up?

With most Exchange backups, they are done online (Exchange services
remain running and users can access the system), and saved as a whole
(file) database onto whatever media you choose - tape, HD, SAN, etc.

I backup our Exchange DB to a remote server, which is then backed up onto tape.

> The documentation I can find on the MS site deals with using the
> Backup Utility to make backups of the server, which I don't really
> want to do, because then I'll have 2 different types of backup to
> manage.

Microsoft's backup utility is fully supported, so you can't go very
wrong with that. Although, yes, the Veritas one is supported, it comes
at an addition cost. Not totally having all your eggs in one basket
with one company can be a good thing. In my case, I use the MS Backup
utility as well as ArcServe.

...D