Backing up Exchange 2003 standard best practices

  • From: "Javier Sola" <jsola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:29:16 -0700

Hey all,

I am having a hard time getting my backup strategy with Exchange to be
successful. It is usually hit or miss if my backups are successful or not.
With a variation of problems from missing/corrupt data to access denied
errors. I am wondering if my resource selections have anything to do with
this problem?? Current setup is: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 with exchange

Exchange 2003 standard on windows 2003 standard. Single Exchange box appx
100 mailboxes. Single storage group and various public folders.....
Circular logging is also currently enabled on the storage group.

I have selected only the following resource selections for backup
otherwise my backups would fail:
Exchange Mailboxes (excluding the ones with corrupt data, appx 5)
Shadow Copy components....

I run a manual seperate backup of my microsoft information store cause it
seems if i include it in the same full backup it fails.... Should i be
doing these seperate?

I run daily m-f FULL DAILY BACKUPS flushing commited logs. What would be
the best practice for backing up my box so that i can have a full system
state in case of full restore and also in case we wanted to restore a
single mailbox/folder...????

Thanks in advance!