[ExchangeList] Re: Backing up Exchange 2003

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:12:12 -0400

Brick level backups are not recommended for Exchange Server. It takes up
too much resources for backup, and doesn't help in server recovery. You
should use a daily database backup for all Information stores. The store
level backups take less tape because it doesn't break the single
instance storage. Store level backups are the best option when you are
doing a disaster recovery. If you are doing brick level in order to
recover single user mail boxes, try to build a dedicated recovery
server, and use the store level backups for recovering single mailboxes.
But as a practice, I discourage my users from asking for single mailbox
restores. Educate users on how to use deleted items recovery. As far as
the backup application is concerned, for store level backups, I use
NTBackup, which is the best in my opinion for Exchange backup and
restore. I use a script for doing daily backups, disk to disk in a SAN.
It works great. We have had 2 disasters in the past 2 years, in both
cases the store level backups done using NTbackups recovered the servers
without any issues.

Raj Periyasamy

MCSE 2003 (Messaging)

This note and any attachments may contain Infineum confidential
information. If you are an unintended recipient: (i) place no reliance
on the information contained herein; (ii) do not disclose, distribute,
or duplicate any information from this note; and (iii) please contact
the sender.