RE: Backing up Exchange

  • From: Scott Overfield <soverfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:40:33 -0500

In order to do a brick level backup, ie, individual mailboxes, with backup
exec, you need to have microsoft outlook installed on the backup server, and
a profile created for the exchange service account......which, BTW has to be
the same account the backup exec services are running under....also, the
account needs to be an exchange service account in order to access other
users' mailboxes for backup....what I decided was this....since I am logging
on to the exchange server with the service account, I simply installed
outlook on the exchange server, created a profile for the backup exec
service account, installed backup exec, the exchange agent, and a tape drive
locally on my exchange box, changed all backup exec services so that they
are logging in with the exchange service account, and am backing up the
exchange directory, information store, and mailboxes locally......