RE: BDC promotion to PDC

  • From: "Lomker, Michael" <mlomker@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:24:05 -0500

 > From my experience what I feel is that you dont need to promote the bdc to
 > pdc...If PDC goes down then
>  BDC automatically take over the charge as it contains a replica of the sam
> database on pdc.You may
I've had quite the opposite experience.  BDC's are next to useless without a
PDC on the network.  MANY network functions do not work properly because BDC's
are read-only databases.
Win2k was a gigantic improvement in this regard.  I did discover, however, that
if your GC isn't available Exchange 2k clients will completely hang.  There
seems to be an Achille's heel in all Microsoft products.
You'll also have to provide more information about the unsuccessful promotion.
There are a lot of things that can cause that problem.  Do a search at using your error message.  Make sure to look
in the event log to see if there are errors there.  There is most definitely a
way to get it promoted.