Arithmatic, getting grip on E2K database size

  • From: "Ad van Bokhoven" <ad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList] (E-mail)" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 20:03:58 +0100

Hello there,
can anyone help us do our homework?

we are inviting our users to clean their boxes as much as they can,
we are introducing limits on everyone 's box,
in short we are trying to minimize disk space consumption of the
E2K database.

Here is what we do not understand:
file names priv1. edb and priv1.stm,
sizes 8.667.400KB and 3.653.640 KB.
If we use E2K System Manager to export a list of all mailboxes and
add up the sizes of same in an Excel sheet; the sheet add up to
7.598.057 KB.
A) Neither of the two previous numbers coincide with the latter,
B) The sum of the first two figures surpasses the latter,

Q1: does anyone one know where and how to compare this kind of data ?

In the recent past we significantly diminished the size of the priv1.edb,
simply by having everyone delete all kinds of mail,
meaning plain mail and all kinds of attachments, the priv1.stm however
never seems to diminish in disksize wereas the priv1.edb seems to do just that.

Q2: is there any kind of action we still need to take ?
i.e. purge or use a tool like esutil.

TIA

HUMARES B.V.
Ad van Bokhoven.