RE: Antivirus

  • From: "Jack Spradling" <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:56:20 -0500

Running an Antivirus layer on the Exchange server is a must. Have you
ever dealt with a NIMDA like virus? Or any other self replication virus
that disables the client side antivirus software? And then writes its
payload to all UNC tunnels you have open? Many new virus actually kill
the antivirus service on your clients system? I would much rater have
the server strip it out before I have to deal with a C*O that has
trashed his/her system.

  I run Trend ScanMail, the Exchange server also runs Trend
ServerProtect, and my clients run OfficeScan. I also run Trend VirusWall
on my ISA 2000 server. When I arrived at this site every computer had
some sort of virus and most of them where propagated through email. It
took 2 months to eradicate all of them from all of the servers and
clients, that was 2 years ago, we have had 0 infections since. This is
where it pays off, no extra time dealing with virus related problems.

Jack Spradling
IT Manager
*200 Michael Angelo Way, Austin, TX 78728
*(512) 218-3636
*(512) 736-3108
*jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto::jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ICQ 218803 <http://icq.com/wwp?Uin=218803>