RE: Anti-Virus revisited

  • From: "Patrick Cote" <Patrick.Cote@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:42:11 -0400

Hi Byron,

Last build of NAVMSG I've used was 22G under 5.5.  I've weathered Melissa and
ILOVEYOU (already sounds like it was ages ago) using NAVMSG.  If you are
thinking of installing it on Exchange 5.5 I would stay / run away from it.  I
don't have any experience with their later builds for Exchange 2000 but the 5.5
version was probably the worst solution on the market at the time. Although all
AVAPI based solutions missed the occasional virus due to lost msg pointers,
NAVMSG was exceptionally bad where it scanned only about 80% of msgs.

My suggestion would be to use either Antigen by Sybari Software
( or Trend Micro's Interscan.  Both offer superior service as
far as customer support goes and both companies tend to make definition files
available much faster in times of crisis.   Symantec is THE worst company for
that, sometimes waiting up to 2 days before they put out their virus

Sybari is also the only product on the market that scans 100% of incoming
messages, public folder posts and outgoing msgs in REAL-TIME. They also offer
the possibility of content filtering and choosing you AV engine.  This last
options is kind of cool cause one company could be faster to release virus
definition files and you can switch AV engines on the fly with Antigen.

My 2 cents...