Re: Anti-Spam/Anti-Virus Software?

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:01:14 -0400

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:38:45 -0600, Mustafa Cicek <mbcicek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi!
> I have one front-end and one back-end Exchange 2003 server.
> Is it secure enough against spams and viruses if I install the
> anti-spam/anti-virus software only on front-end Exchange. Or must I
> install the software on both fe/be servers?

Can you afford to have your B-E Exchange server infected with a virus?
If you can, then just having AV software on your F-E Exchange server
should be fine.

If you want to decrease your risk and downtime, do consider a layered system.

Internet

Firewall - Layer 7 aware - AV and attachment blocking

Mail gateway server - AV and attachment blocking. With a list of valid
recipients. Take the load off your Exchange servers. Install Postfix
on FreeBSD for example. I have a PPro200 with 128MB of RAM handling
1000's of emails per day with a load average below 2%. Even a
non-profit company can afford this, cause I would give them the $40
computer for free.

Exchange F-E Server - AV software from a different (from the upper
layers) Vendor.

Exchange B-E Server - AV software to scan information stores

> Which anti-spam/anti-virus software can you advise me?

One for the firewall (Fortinet.com for example), one for the gateway
server (simple MIME header checks and attachment blocking - all for
free - would do on this server), and one for Exchange (we use
TrendMicro's ScanMail for Exchange).

...D