RE: Anti-Spam/Anti-Virus Software?

  • From: "Depp, Dennis M." <deppdm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:09:12 -0400

I would recommend installing it on the BE server, not the FE server.
With the antivirus installed on the BE server, you can do a periodic
scan of the information store to clean out any viruses that might have
snuck in before an update to your virus definiations.  Also if you only
have anti-virus on the FE server, someone could launch a virus internal
to Exchange and you would be unprotected.

Anti-Spam should be OK only on the FE server.  However, many of these
products are licensed by number of mailboxes so I would be inclined to
place it in both places.

We currently do not run Anti-Spam on Exchange, but I would look at the
Microsoft Intelligent Messaging Filter.  For Anti-Virus we use Tren on
our Exchang servers and are very happy with it.  There are others out
there that work equally well.