Re: AntiSpam measures to be taken via Exchange configuration

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:05:19 -0500

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:36:18 -0600, Stephan Barr <bdtsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Server Details: Exchange 2000 Version 6 Build 6249:4 SP3; Symantec Mail
> Security Version: on Windows 2000 AS Version 5.00.2195 SP4.
> Objective: To do everything I can to reduce the amount of spam received.
> I'm looking at Postini and GFI tools but want to do everything right
> with the configuration of Exchange first.   Any help is appreciated.

1) Load up the latest security patches for Windows, IIS, and Exchange
2) Put a modern and properly configured firewall up in-front of Exchange
3) (open relay stuff)
4) Decided on an anti-malware system for email traffic. Some more that
come to mind: Fortinet (Fortigate Series), Barracuda Spam firewall,
Sophos, F-Secure, TrendMicro, Postfix on FreeBSD (as email firewall),
5) Test, test, and more testing: